Chances are that if you are reading this you already know me. But if you are a stranger and you are looking for left-of-center political opinions, rambling, senseless rants, and coverage of the Atlanta Braves that can only be described as severely manic-depressive...Welcome!!

Thursday, May 18, 2006

Elephant droppings

So I know what you're thinking; why should I care about the attempt to insert bans against gay marriage into the constitution? After all I'm straight, and while I don't hold anything against gay people, I'm really not going to get worked up about this issue. Well aside from the fact that all discrimination is wrong no matter who is being discriminated against, it is once again the Christian Gestapo telling us who and how we are allowed to love, telling us how we may define what is family, and telling us how we may behave in our own homes.

However it hasn't stopped there. In Black Jack MO, the town is working on a plan to evict all those people living within the town who are living together and not married. They are using an arcane law concerning occupancy rules to accomplish this fact with the full blessing of the mayor and the town council, good Christians all no doubt. So there is your slippery slope. First it was the gays, whom nobody cares about, then we go after those living in sin. An idea that is likely to spread and be embraced by those who hold power in this country.

So when will they come after you? What skeletons do you have in your closet? What do you do when the door is shut? Or more prudently what is on your computer? Think the government would never interfere in your personal business? How wonderfully naive.

"First they came for the Jews and I did not speak out because I was not a Jew.
Then they came for the Communists and I did not speak out because I was not a Communist.
Then they came for the unionists and I did not speak out because I was not a unionist.
Then they came for me and there was no one left to speak out for me."
Pastor Martin Niemaller

Every time I hear somebody who defines themselves as a Republican rail against the evils of big government I want to scream. In what possible way could government intrude into your life in a more personal or private manner then such as this. In the political climate of today it is possible to be a conservative, and it is possible to be a Republican, but the two are now mutually exclusive. The Falwells, Dobsons, and Robertsons of this world have succeeded in their attempt in completely dominating the GOP. Even former maverick John McCain recognizes this new reality as we saw recently, when he went down to Liberty University to supplicate himself before the dark lord. The hallmarks of limited government and personal liberty, that have always been the cornerstone of consertvative ideology are no longer valued by the ones who claim its mandate. If you are a conservative I don't know what you do or where you go, but one thing is for sure...you no longer have a home in the Republican Party.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home