Chances are that if you are reading this you already know me. But if you are a stranger and you are looking for left-of-center political opinions, rambling, senseless rants, and coverage of the Atlanta Braves that can only be described as severely manic-depressive...Welcome!!

Wednesday, May 17, 2006

Mil-ee-wah-kay, which is Algonquin for "the good land"

First off that line is bullshit. Although the original pronouncation is indeed Mil-ee-wah-kay it's not Algonquin it's Menominee. And it doesn't mean the good land either, it means land of many rivers. Just goes to show that you shouldn't depend on Alice Cooper for your American history tutorials.

I have been thinking recently, does anyone ever intend to end up in Milwaukee? Do they plan on it? Plotting and scheming to spend the rest of their lives plaintively waiting for the Brewers to hit .500? If so I've never met that person. Most people were either born here or they just ran out of gas on 94 one day. Next thing you know 10-20 years have gone by and these people are sitting next to you at Webb's wearing a Packers jacket, and ordering the bacon scrambler while unconsciously throwing about phrases like "ya der" or "you betcha" as they discuss the state of the Marquette construction, or the latest aldermanic indictment. Milwaukee is like the mafia to Al Pacino in Godfather III "Every time I try to leave they keep pulling me back in"

So here I am in the midst of my second tour of duty here in the Brew city and pondering, at the same time, how I once again ended up here on the western shore of Lake Michigan, and what my future holds for me? Will it be door #1, the international school route, a fabulous life spent drunkenly tripping through the capitols of Europe while tutoring the spoiled scions of diplomats and CEO's alike. Or will it be door #2, remaining in Milwaukee, hopefully moving into a craftsman bungalow in Tosa from which I depart every day to once again attempt to entertain the brain-dead masses that make up the bulk of American public school students.

So I am feeling more than a small amount of ennui about my future. Here I am pursuing my second choice of career, yet I am not assured of success in that endeavor. Yet even if I do succeed, what then? I still have no clue what I want out of life, the only thing I am sure of is what is beyond my reach. The fact that there is only myself to consider gives me a great deal of freedom in choosing where to live, but there are times that I long to be attached to someone else and have their needs factor into the decisions that I have to make. At least then there would be some certainties. I think what is chasing me is that whatever I decide to do, wherever I decide to go here will be this cloud of loneliness that will always chase me and dwell over me and perhaps that is why I feel stuck all the time, and would continue to feel stuck no matter where I go.

Hmm, going deep tonight

3 Comments:

Blogger Will said...

You can get yourself "attached" to something on the South Side for $50, if need be. And if it's love you want remember what my brother always says "Women are like buses: if you miss one another'll be around in about 15 minutes."

Europe would be fun. Smelly? Sure, but you've been to Summerfest. Do you like hairy pits? Europe's got'em. 70% tax rate? You're a liberal, you love that shit.

I say if you have a chance to do something few people have a chance to do then you should do it. Leave us, have a blast, and know that you'll always have a home in the suckhole by the lake.

8:53 AM

 
Blogger ptg said...

Ditto on Will. You've always been the adventurous type, and the rest of us fucking love your emails about your travels (I've said it before, I'll say it again, you should fucking write a book!). Besides, if you found a chick in Milwaukee, how much would she really want to travel with you? Go abroad, experience life, and then come back to the suckhole.

10:03 AM

 
Blogger Kat said...

You used the word "ennui" - and in the correct context -that's so cool.

11:42 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home