Chances are that if you are reading this you already know me. But if you are a stranger and you are looking for left-of-center political opinions, rambling, senseless rants, and coverage of the Atlanta Braves that can only be described as severely manic-depressive...Welcome!!

Thursday, August 03, 2006

Wiki wiki wack

I have discovered the greatest tool for time wasting ever. At least the greatest that does not require lotion, and a box of tissues. I am, of course, referring to the random article button on Wikipedia. I recently discovered Wikipedia in all its awesomeness, information on every possible subject, a virtual cornucopia of useless knowledge containing almost 1.3 million articles at last check and growing by the thousands every day. Now I understand that Wikipedia is written and edited by literally thousands of people with their own agendas, and this can lead to biased information sneaking in. But that bias is easy to spot, and sometimes it can be downright hilarious therefore adding to the whole experience.

But by far and away the best feature is the random article button because it can take you to articles that you never would have looked for yourself, and this has added considerably to my own useless knowledge reserves. For instance; bios of obscure Canadian politicians, (Is there another kind?) Argentine soap operas, detailed demographics for every pissant South Dakota farming town, and a team-by-team, season-by-season breakdown of the Israeli soccer league. (I've put 500 Sheckels on Hapoel Tel Aviv to take the State Cup this year, and if they don't then oy, is the world just messhuginah I'm telling you!)

I can sit for hours just pressing the random button and feeding on whatever comes up. Some of it is interesting, most of it is not. So I tend to skip through some articles at the same speed that I flip through the block of Jesus stations when I am channel surfing. As a matter of fact that gives me an idea. I hereby coin the term...

Wikisurfing (wee/kee'/sur/fing) V: The act of randomly clicking through Wikipedia pages at a high rate of speed. Ex. I was Wikisurfing when I saw a picture of your mom on the crack whore page. Past: Wikisurfed

I've gotta go now, Webster's will be calling any minute.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nice word.

6:58 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Looking for information and found it at this great site... american tv Income tax forms on line Frozen food and freezer plans except meat retail Tooth whitening gel tooth whitening tooth whitenin

8:15 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home